A Cure for Study Time Blues

Try our tips for curing the study time blues.

Photo by Caleb Raney

Photo by Caleb Raney

Hailey Zendejas, Staff Writer

We know what you’re thinking—what can I do to cure my study time blues? Well luckily, we have two perfect ways: forming a rocking playlist and grabbing some delicious snacks. Here are some tips to help ensure you find the best tunes for a night of studying.

1. Picking songs that you don’t have memorized is best. It’s hard to study when you want to sing along with Yoncé or weep while belting out Adelesince you already know all of the words. Don’t worry—we have plenty of suggestions. Some of the bands you can’t help but fall in love with are The 1975, The Lumineers and Duran Duran. Explore a little, and find other artists and genres. Never deny yourself the chance to find new music even in the midst of finals week or a long night of studying.
  2. What kind of a studier are you? Do you need to get hyped about biology? Do you need to feel soothed and relaxed while you learn the ins and outs of psychology? Whatever type of music is ideal for you, setting the mood is essential. Once you know what you need, try to make a collection of songs that fits your preferences.
  3. The good news is that Spotify and Pandora have premade study playlists just waiting for you to hit “shuffle play.” Each one is organized by genre, so don’t worry if you lack in the playlist making department.

Now for the best part—snacks! You want heart and brain happy foods that are going to cure the tummy rumblies while still keeping you focused on that research paper. These snacks can prevent you from constantly checking to see if you’ve met your word count.

So, what makes for a good study snack?

1. You can’t go wrong with a small snack that just requires you to reach your hand into a bowl. These snacks can be anything from juicy grapes or strawberries to lightly salted almonds or pretzels! The minimal effort needed to reach for this snack is an added bonus.
  2. For a new treat, and a bit of a longer study break, take your extra fruit, cut them into pieces and dip them in yogurt or lightly melted chocolate. Add any extra toppings you may have, like nuts, coconut or candy. Then stick your fruit in the freezer, and they will be ready for your next study break!
  3. Lastly, you can’t go wrong with a classic spoon dip—or several—into creamy peanut butter, because who says you can’t indulge a little while studying?

Check out the playlist below for a little music inspiration. Cheers to your next study session!